Investment Banking/Sales & Trading
Start exploring what it takes to be a Wells Fargo Securities Analyst with Investment Banking or Sales & Trading, and develop skills that will take you further in this competitive area of financial services. During the summer, you'll be challenged to learn new things, and become part of one of Wall Street's fastest growing investment banks. You'll work hard, but you'll be rewarded with a variety of opportunities if you decide to become a full-time analyst.
Based on your preference, and the needs of the business, you will focus on one of the following:
- Investment Banking
- Sales & Trading
- Principal Investments
- Foreign Exchange (FX)
At the start of the program, you'll participate in an immersive five-day in-person training session that will help you learn more about the business, give you the chance to meet senior leaders, and provide an introduction to products, markets, and financial modeling. Throughout the summer, you’ll perform financial modeling, and in-depth company and industry research, prepare presentations, reports, and credit packages, and more.
Perform well during your summer program, and you’ll be selected to join the full-time Analyst program once you graduate.
If you are selected to join the Investment Banking or Sales & Trading team, your responsibilities may include:
- Developing and maintaining models to depict projected financial results and to value companies
- Working closely with senior bankers on presentations, financial and credit analyses, and the preparation of financial projections and models
- Supporting various financial analyses, including valuations and merger consequences
- Performing comprehensive and in-depth company and industry research
- Preparing presentations and other client materials
- Conducting research, participating in strategic planning, and assisting in the execution of advisory services
- Conducting financial analysis, preparing credit packages, and monitoring existing deals; creating pitches, proposals, and marketing materials
- Participating in client meetings, due diligence visits, and other client interactions to gain exposure to key executives and senior bankers
- Structuring customized investment strategies using conventional cash and derivative products for individual investors
- Using risk-management tools to monitor trading positions and manage risk
If you are selected to join the Economics team, your responsibilities may include:
- Supporting staff on the generation of publications including the Weekly Economic & Financial Commentary, the Monthly Economic Outlook, economic indicators and special reports
- Preparing and refining economic presentations
- Creating and updating economic charts and tables
- Conducting in-depth economic and industry research
- Working with the senior economists and econometrician to update economic forecasts
- Providing support to the vice presidents and associates on ad hoc tasks by the senior team
Your next step
After successfully completing the summer program, you will be eligible to participate in the full-time Wells Fargo Securities Analyst Program when you graduate.
Opportunities are available in Charlotte, NC, New York, NY and San Francisco, CA.
Limited opportunities are available in Chicago, IL, Houston, TX, Los Angeles, CA.
- Demonstrated interest in finance and the financial markets
- Dedication to building a career in the financial services industry
- Proven ability to take on significant responsibility
- Willingness to work long hours in a demanding, highly focused, collaborative, and team environment
- Energetic self-starter who is flexible, organized, conscientious, proactive, and detail-oriented
- An individual who demonstrates a sense of personal accountability and urgency for achieving results
- Bachelor's degree with an expected graduation in December 2018 or May/June 2019
- A bachelor's degree with academic distinction and an emphasis in Economics, Mathematics, or a related quantitative/analytical field
- Strong interest in financial markets with expertise in macroeconomics, business cycle analysis, finance or math attained through coursework, individual study, and prior work experience
- Advanced skills in Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Additional group details
This group delivers debt and equity underwriting, mergers and acquisitions, and loan syndications for middle-market, large corporate, financial sponsor, and institutional clients. Analysts that join Investment Banking will be placed in one of the following areas for the summer:
- Asset Backed Finance provides structured lending and securitization services to core clients across all asset types including consumer assets, corporate loans, residential mortgages, commercial mortgages, and corporate operating assets.
- Corporate Finance provides financing and structuring advice, liability management, ratings advisory and technical expertise on tax and accounting to help clients optimize their capital structures.
- Equity Capital Markets oversees Wells Fargo's activities in the primary equity and equity-linked markets. They work closely with corporate clients and to structure and execute financing solutions. Also supports the origination of primary market transactions and their structuring, syndication, marketing, and distribution.
- Financial Sponsors originates leveraged finance, mergers and acquisitions, and equity transactions.
- High Grade Debt Capital Markets originates, structures and executes various debt and hybrid securities transactions for investment-grade clients. Provides financing solutions tailored to clients with an investment-grade credit profile to support acquisition financing, working capital needs, general refinancing, and other corporate purposes.
- Industry Coverage provides investment banking and advisory services to clients in Consumer, Healthcare and Gaming, Energy and Power, Financial Institutions, Industrials, and Technology, Media and Telecommunications.
- Investment Grade Loan Syndications originates, structures, and executes lead-arranged loan syndications for investment-grade clients. Provides financing solutions tailored to corporate clients with an investment-grade credit profile to support acquisition financing, working capital needs, and other general corporate purposes.
- Leveraged Finance originates, structures, underwrites, and executes loan syndication and high-yield transactions for corporate and financial sponsor clients. Provides financing solutions tailored to corporate and financial sponsor clients to support acquisition financing, growth financing, recapitalizations and refinancing transactions.
- Mergers & Acquisitions / Advisory assists middle-market and large corporate clients in achieving their strategic and financial objectives in partnership with industry and specialty coverage groups. Services include sell-side advisory, buy-side advisory, strategic financial advisory, fairness opinions, takeover defense, and private equity placements.
- Regional Investment Banking provides investment banking coverage to select middle-market clients and emerging growth companies in Wells Fargo’s core commercial and retail geographic footprint. The group advises middle-market financial sponsors and has dedicated merger and acquisition execution capabilities.
- Public Finance provides capital-raising solutions for government clients and tax-exempt clients in the healthcare, education, and nonprofit sectors. Clients are covered by geographic and industry-specific Investment Banking teams.
- Real Estate Syndicated Finance originates, structures, underwrites, and executes loan syndication transactions for real estate investment trusts (REITs), real estate funds and private developers. Provides financing solutions tailored to support acquisition financing, growth financing, recapitalizations and refinancing transactions.
Sales & Trading
This group delivers capital market products ranging from the distribution of public debt and equity products, to interest rate, commodities and equity risk hedging services. Analysts that join Sales and Trading may rotate through several desks within the following businesses:
- Asset Based Finance Sales & Trading provides sales and trading of securitized fixed income products such as agency and non-agency mortgage-backed securities (MBS), commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS), asset-backed securities (ABS), and collateralized loan obligations (CLOs). The ABF team is an active primary underwriter of both third-party clients and Wells Fargo Bank-originated collateral across asset classes.
- Commodities offers a variety of customized derivative and physical solutions to help our borrowing clients manage their exposure to commodity price risk. Focus sectors are Energy, Metals, and Agriculture. Products traded include: Crude Oil, Diesel Fuel, Unleaded Gasoline, Natural Gas, Ethane, Propane, Metals, and Agriculture.
- Credit (High Grade & High Yield) Sales & Trading addresses client investment needs and objectives through the distribution and placement of underwritten deals, as well as by providing and facilitating capital market liquidity and resources.
- Equity Sales & Trading provides sales and trading for clients who are raising equity and convertibles in the capital markets, as well as investors looking to secure equities for their investment needs.
- Fixed Income Market & Portfolio Strategy provides general fixed income strategy and commentary, as well as customer-specific portfolio analysis, balance sheet analysis, and individualized solutions to a broad spectrum of fixed income investors. Our customers include total return-oriented money managers and mutual funds, insurance companies, pension funds, money market funds, corporations and other short-duration accounts, municipalities and state funds, credit unions, and banks ranging in size and sophistication from community banks to money center banks.
- Interest Rate Risk Management helps companies analyze and manage financial risk resulting from changes, as well as clients with needs to hedge interest rates and commodity prices.
- Investment Solutions delivers structured investments to institutions and individuals across asset classes, including equities, rates, commodities, credit, currencies, and inflation through a global distribution network. Investment Solutions uses a variety of investment vehicles, including structured notes, structured CDs, special-purpose vehicles, OTC contracts, and separate accounts.
- Municipal Sales, Trading, Underwriting, & Derivatives delivers financial solutions to issuers and provides sales and trading services to institutional and middle-market investors. The desk is a leading originator and market maker for tax-exempt and taxable bonds across all major market sectors. Derivatives marketing provides tailored interest rate risk management services and customized financing solutions to municipal issuers.
Wells Fargo Securities Economics provides research and analysis on international, national, and regional economic trends to help serve our clients' business and financial needs. Many national publications, academic and economic journals, and popular television and radio programs have featured our experienced economists. Our Economics Team is one of the most respected economic research organizations in the industry, and Bloomberg News has named our group a top economics team for the past five years.
Wells Fargo Principal Investing is an asset management business line of Wells Fargo that is headquartered in San Francisco, CA. It deploys retained earnings of the bank to achieve attractive risk-adjusted returns across a variety of asset classes, including leveraged loans, investment-grade and high-yield securities, structured products, and municipal bonds. Portfolio coverage is organized by both asset class and industry sector.
Foreign Exchange (FX)
As one of the foreign exchange market leaders in North America, Wells Fargo Foreign Exchange provides services ranging from currency exchange and international payments to hedging and currency risk management solutions. Our team provides a full range of FX products and services to help customers simplify settlement of foreign payments and receivables. A well-directed FX strategy allows customers to better manage their cash flow, control costs, protect profits, and compete more effectively.
The Foreign Exchange team provides FX risk mitigation & payment strategies and market liquidity to middle market, large corporate and institutional FX clients for a variety of foreign currency exposures through the use of spot, forward and derivatives markets. Foreign Exchange works with Business Banking, Middle Market Banking, Corporate Banking, Investment Banking, Institutional/Global Financial Institutions, Capital Finance, Global Banking and other relationship management groups to prospect and generate leads for FX opportunities.